2010 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 20:33:24 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] EXPANSION: Impact of Tinian range (Northern Marianas)

CNMI yearns for more economic benefits from US military buildup

By Haidee V. Eugenio
Saipan Tribune (CNMI)
February 19, 2010

The CNMI government wants the U.S. military to do more to provide economic benefits to, and mitigate social impacts on, the CNMI as a result of the $15- to $20-billion military buildup mainly in Guam.

The buildup involves the relocation of more than 8,000 Marines and their 9,000 dependents from Okinawa, Japan to Guam, the construction of facilities for recurring aircraft carrier visits, the development of an Army air and missile defense facility on Guam, and more Marine training facilities on Tinian.

"We welcome the military buildup in our region in whatever capacity the U.S. military deems appropriate and acceptable as long as the mitigation effects are in direct proportion to the proposed actions," the CNMI government said.

http://www.saipantribune.com/newsstory.aspx?newsID=97359&cat=1