2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 2009 10:32:32 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: El Mirage and Luke Air Force Base (AZ)

El Mirage mayor airs objections to Luke Air Force Base

by Cecilia Chan
The Arizona Republic
October 22, 2009

El Mirage officials for the first time presented their case to residents regarding the city's much-criticized course of action with Luke Air Force Base.

"We are not interested in closing the base," Mayor Michele Kern said at an Arizona Republic editorial-board meeting earlier Wednesday. "I love the base. I love the state of Arizona. But at the end of the day, my responsibility is to the residents."

Later, roughly 150 people attended the forum at Riverview Elementary School. Kern said the meeting's purpose was to give a "fair picture" of what has led the city to its recent actions, and not to point fingers.

El Mirage has been criticized by its West Valley neighbors for blaming its inability to develop a tax base on development restrictions meant to protect the Glendale military installation. The city's clamor for economic sustainability comes as the Pentagon scouts for a secondary training base for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter. The new generation of fighter jets is considered vital by many to ensure the future of the base as it phases out its F-16s.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/westvalley/articles/2009/10/22/20091022lukeafb1022.html