2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 2009 00:01:30 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CHEMWEAPONS, FUDS: Mustard agent residue found at Spring Valley (DC)

Vial Used for Chemical Agent Mustard Is Uncovered

By Michael E. Ruane
Washington Post
August 13, 2009

Residue in a laboratory vial found last week in a back yard in Northwest Washington has tested positive for the World War I blistering agent mustard, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said Wednesday.

The vial was found Aug. 4 during the ongoing excavation at a vacant property at 4825 Glenbrook Rd., in the Spring Valley neighborhood, and the U.S. Army Corps learned of the test results Monday.

The small, dirt-encrusted vial, shaped like half of an hourglass, was about four inches tall. Its seal was partially broken, and it was empty except for the residue, said Daniel Noble, project manager for the engineers' cleanup of the area. "We're talking about a very small quantity," he said.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/08/12/AR2009081202312.html?hpid=topnews