2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 12:51:21 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PRESERVATION: Alameda Point (CA)

Preserve historical base with a trust

Opinion by Constance and John Eliassen
Oakland Tribune (CA)
July 16, 2009

The burning of the building used for convalescing WWII injured, abandoned while we determine how to return the base to private hands, emphasizes that our approach has been wrong. This is public property and should always remain so. Before more money is wasted by both sides, it's time to reconsider.

This site is too historically important and spectacular a property to be carved up by politicians and corporations. It is one of the most central and prominent pieces of open land left in any urban center.

Before more money is wasted, the authority over this site needs to be transferred from the city of Alameda into a stewardship, similar to the Presidio Trust. Then the effort to protect, preserve and maintain the property for income purposes can begin.

For the entire column, see
http://www.insidebayarea.com/timesstar/localnews/ci_12852250