2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: CHARLES A VEILLEUX <cveilleux@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 08:27:06 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL: Goose Bay, Canada

Hi to everyone,

Somehow, it seems that this is the amount that was paid by the US Governent as a final monetary compensation in 1993 after tjhe closing of a US Air Force base.The 100 million$ paid in 1993 has grown to 300million$ in 2009 but will be spent over a period of ten years! At the time, the cost of remediation had been appraised to 1 billion$.See the article from my archives below; the CBC ran it in 2004 (The red color is from me):

Objet : CBC News - TOXINS FROM GOOSE BAY AIRBASE MAY BE SPREADING, DND

WARNS

The following is a news item posted on CBC NEWS ONLINE

at http://www.cbc.ca/news

TOXINS FROM GOOSE BAY AIRBASE MAY BE SPREADING, DND WARNS

WebPosted Mon Aug 30 15:54:58 2004

Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Nfld.---Goose Bay farmers have been warned not to

drink their well water for three years after scientists discovered that

toxins from a former U.S. airbase may be spreading.

Department of National Defence scientists asked farmers this week to use

the town water supply while they monitor the flow of contaminants through

soil and groundwater outside the base.

The province has also frozen new leases for three years to allow time for

the study.

"We need to get a complete understanding of the type and nature and the

extent of the contamination that might exist in that area," Holmer

Berthiaume, the department's director of environmental protection said.

"People don't want to buy produce from an area that may be threatened

with pollution."

The department, which inherited the site after the U.S. air force pulled

out of Labrador in 1991, said the pollution left behind is much greater

than originally expected.

Estimates put the true cost of the cleanup at as much as 10 times the

$100 million that the United States paid Canada in 1993.

Farmers disgusted by toxic mess

Many local farmers are enraged, insisting that the U.S. should have been

forced to clean up before it left.

"That pollution is just a little bit too close for anybody's comfort,"

said Frank Pye, who sank his life savings into his farm but now fears for

its future. $20 million already spent on cleanup

The Americans dumped tens of thousands of drums containing contaminants

such as DDT, jet fuel, diesel, paint solvents and antifreeze.

DND already has more than 3,000 test wells on the base and has spent more

than $20 million cleaning up polluted areas.

The source of the latest contamination is unknown. It may be from a

documented spill by the U.S. air force in 1962, or it may be coming from

a pipeline that runs under part of the municipality and connects two

different tank farms.

Copyright (C) 2004 CBC. All rights reserved.

Charles-A. Veilleux, Esq.
1339, James-LeMoine
Québec, Qc, Canada, G1S-1A5
Tel. res.: 418 682-8162