2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Jun 2009 12:23:51 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, ASBESTOS: Chanute Air Force Base (IL) steam pipelines

Air Force done with asbestos cleanup on ex-base pipes

By Tom Kacich
Urbana/Champaign News-Gazette
May 15, 2009

RANTOUL - The Air Force has completed the removal and cleanup of 6,000 feet of asbestos-coated pipeline on the south side of the old Chanute Air Force Base.

But it won't be cleaning up the rest of the remnants of the old steam pipelines that criss-crossed the base, said Paul Carroll, an environmental coordinator for the Air Force Real Property Agency.

Removing the above-ground steam line cost the Air Force $150,000 to $200,000, Carroll said.

"It was an operation that was not required under our agreement," he said. "But we decided to do it out of concern for human health and goodwill, I guess you'd say, because the village could not afford to do it."

http://www.news-gazette.com/news/local/2009/05/15/air_force_done_with_asbestos_cleanup_on_ex-base_pipes