2009 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 16:15:46 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUDS, CHEMWEAPONS: Orlando Toxic Gas and Decontamination Yard (FL)

Bombing site to be studied for toxins

Rich McKay
Orlando Sentinel (FL)
January 8, 2009

For years Brenda Bynum wondered why so many members of her family were so sick.

"I thought it was our house or our block that was cursed," Bynum said. "It seemed that almost everyone had something or knew someone who did."

Bynum's worries intensified last summer with reports that her Azalea Park neighborhood was once part of the Orlando Army Air Field, Toxic Gas and Decontamination Yard, where World War II soldiers were exposed to poison gases to train them to protect themselves on the battlefield. The Army stored the gas on site.

Now, 50 years after the facility closed, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers is dispatching investigators to the area to look for what may have been buried and left behind: bombs, gas-filled mines and possible toxic waste. The process will kick off with a public hearing tonight.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/orange/orl-cancerbomb0809jan08,0,6594116.story