2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2008 10:52:14 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENERGY, ENCROACHMENT: Coast Guard approves Cape Wind (MA)

Cape Wind clears hurdle

By Patrick Cassidy
Cape Cod Times (MA)
December 6, 2008

WOODS HOLE - The Coast Guard commander responsible for the waters off southeastern New England announced yesterday that the proposed Nantucket Sound wind farm poses no significant problem for marine radar.

During a follow-up conference call with participants of an October workshop, Coast Guard Capt. Raymond Perry said if the developer adheres to proposed mitigation techniques and Coast Guard conditions the project is "doable."

"The Coast Guard has to make the assessment on whether we can do this project or not," Perry said. "I'm telling you right now that I have already made that determination."

Opponents of the project have said that a federal review of the proposed wind farm is being rushed and that - among a litany of other concerns - the turbines would be dangerous to recreational boaters, fishermen and ferries in the sound.

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20081206/NEWS/812060314/-1/NEWSLETTER100