2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 18:09:45 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Agent Orange concerns at Gulfport (MS) school site

Landtrust group says school site is toxic

By Elise Roberts
WLOX TV 13 News (Biloxi/Gulfport, MS)
October 23, 2008

GULFPORT, MS (WLOX) - Tuesday, Gulfport's City Council approved plans to build a new elementary school. But one group doesn't want it to happen. The North Gulfport Community Landtrust fears the new school site may be toxic.

"Based on the advice of the environmental group, we can build a school, a playground, a house and whatever else. We're in great shape," said School Superintendent Glen East.

The North Gulfport Community Landtrust disagrees. They believe the site is contaminated with Agent Orange, a carcinogen that causes cancer.

"In the Vietnam War, they basically spread this on the jungles so the enemy wouldn't have a place to hide. Unfortunately after the war, it was stored improperly on the Navy Base in steel drums and leaked out over time and came on to many sites north of the base," said Landtrust founder Howard Page.

For the entire story, see
http://www.wlox.com/Global/story.asp?S=9224111