2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 16:25:18 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] REUSE, HEALTH: South Weymouth Naval Air Station (MA)

Submitted by David Wilmot <DCatbird37@aol.com>

To: United States Navy

From: David Wilmot,  Abington, MA Resident

Date : 06-18-2008

Re: South Weymouth Naval Air Station FOSL

Sirs,

It is my firm belief that our citizen's "inalienable rights" to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" is being knowingly stolen from those of us who live, or will live in proximity to the former South Weymouth Naval Air Station.

This is being done to a, in most cases, populace ignorant of any current and impending dangers existing because of insufficient environmental remediation.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has continually been forced to lower remediation standards, by agency superiors put in their positions by a morally corrupt administration in Washington, who have chosen to turn a blind eye to emerging science.

Prior to our town's voting to approve LNR's redevelopment scheme, LNR announced that if the Navy failed to remove the toxic Westgate Landfill superfund site, then they would pay to have it done. The landfill is now scheduled to be buried atop the lifeless Frenches Stream, to serve as a perpetual source of toxins for the headwaters of the North River Watershed.

A five year study of MS/ALS incidence proximity to the former base, conducted by the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, is being withheld from the public by the Department of Defense controlled Agency for Toxic Substances and Disease Registry. An earlier leak of findings, announced that an increase in ALS incidence was identified, but that finding will be kept from official public scrutiny until at least after these FOSL comments are due.

The economic concerns of the powerful, are silently stripping the future good health of our blue collar citizenry.

The locally involved EPA aren't given the power to truly protect us.

All of us, living in proximity to toxic military installations become silent victims of war, as our government continues to knowingly ignore sound science.

                 David A. Wilmot