2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 16:29:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: Republican opposes Pinon Canyon (CO) expansion

Schaffer backs funding ban on expansion

Republican candidate for Senate says the Army hasn't justified proposed growth of Pinon Canyon.

By PETER ROPER
THE PUEBLO CHIEFTAIN (CO)
May 6, 2008

Doesn't anybody like the Army?

Bob Schaffer, the Republican candidate for the Senate, ended months of mystery Monday when he said the Army has failed to make its case for expanding the Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site and he supports a congressional funding ban on the 414,000-acre expansion until the Army proves otherwise.

"I am adamantly opposed to the use of eminent domain by the government in this case," Schaffer said in a phone interview. "As far as I am concerned, the Army has not made its case for expanding Pinon Canyon. The Army is supposed to justify their reasons for the expansion (in a report to the Senate) and I am waiting for that report as well."

Schaffer's views put him close to those of Rep. Mark Udall, D-Colo., who is the Democratic candidate for the Senate. Udall has asked for a Government Accountability Office study of the Army's request to expand Pinon Canyon and has also said the Pentagon has failed to make a case thus far for acquiring more land at the 238,000-acre training site northeast of Trinidad.

http://www.chieftain.com/articles/2008/05/06/news/local/doc481ff04e29b96869659869.txt