2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 23:33:54 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS; NBC's "Tropical Disconnect" - report on Vieques (PR)

Tropical Disconnect

By Mark Potter
NBC News
April 24, 2008

Arriving on the island of Vieques, Puerto Rico recently, it was clear we
had come to an extraordinarily beautiful place. The beaches are
gorgeous, the water is crystal clear, the tourist hotels and restaurants
are laid-back and the tropical vegetation and terrain are stunning,
especially in the fiery light of sundown.

Looking below the surface here, though, we found a lingering and ugly
controversy involving allegations of environmental contamination by the
U.S. military and elevated health risks to long-time residents. In the
words of a lawsuit filed by more than 7,000 plaintiffs against the U.S.
government, "residents of Vieques experience a 30% higher rate of
cancer, a 381% higher rate of hypertension, a 99% higher rate of
cirrhosis of the liver and a 41% higher rate of diabetes than the rest
of Puerto Rico."

For the entire story, see
http://dailynightly.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/04/24/943396.aspx