2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "Steven B. Pollack" <Steve@EcoEsq.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:36:13 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] CHEMWEAPONS: Schofield Barracks (HI) to destroy found items

"The Army said the remainder of the 250 liquid-filled rounds were not
chemical weapons and were detonated on the training range - standard
practice with old munitions."

But this releases munitions chemicals into the environment which, while
not as toxic as chemical munitions, are still toxic. There exists zero
emissions disposal technology yet no reason is given why it is not used.
 Standard practice is an excuse, not a reason.

I would imagine this violates several environmental laws including the
Clean Air Act.  If history is any guide, this is probably being done in
a minority area so it may also violate environmental justice principles.

Steven B. Pollack, Attorney
Executive Director, Blue Eco Legal Council
3390 Commercial Ave.
Northbrook, IL 60062
847-436-9566
www.ecoesq.com