2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 11:02:02 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VOCs: Past vapor intrusion at El Toro Marine Corps Air Station (CA)?

Marine veterans recently asked me to look into the possibility that
workers/Marines at the former El Toro Marine Corps Air Station might
have been exposed to unacceptable levels of trichloroethylene (TCE) in
the indoor air at buildings (hangars) 296 and 297, part of Site 24 at
that base.

My knowledge of the situation is incomplete. I last reviewed El Toro
data in late 2004, when I considered potential future vapor intrusion. See
http://www.cpeo.org/lists/military/2004/msg01100.html

But I think I know enough to recommend further, detailed evaluation.

 From my earlier research, I have in my files a few pages from the June
2002 "Draft Final Site Closure Report for Vadose Zone Remediation, IRP
Site 24, Volatile Organic Compounds Source Area." Table 3-4 shows
Closure Sampling Analytical Results. This table compares the
post-closure (of the treatment system) TCE sampling results of soil gas
from vapor extraction wells under and near the buildings with "baseline
TCE concentrations," the sampling results before soil vapor extraction
took place. If I recall correctly from my earlier tour of El Toro, the
SVE system removed a large quantity of TCE from the vadose zone (soil
above the groundwater table) at El Toro.

Here's a typical baseline result. In well 24SVE49, screened at a depth
of 83 to 103 feet, the TCE soil gas concentration was 120
micrograms/liter on August 12, 1999. That equals 120,000
micrograms/cubic meter.

With a common but low-end attenuation factor of 1/1000, that could cause
indoor air contamination of 120 micrograms/cubic meter. In reality,
attenuation depends upon the building. Sumps, drains, cracks in the
floor, and other holes could increase indoor concentrations. Active
ventilation, open hangar doors, and a high ceiling could reduce indoor
contamination levels. Also, the depth to groundwater (and thus depth of
the samples) might have also caused less concentrated TCE exposures.

Dividing by 12 to get from 25-year exposure to the 2 years a typical
marine might have worked in the building, that's still the equivalent of
10 micrograms/cubic meter over "lifetime" exposure, enough to correspond
to a 1 in 400,000 excess lifetime cancer risk for an occupational
exposure. Any Marine/worker exposed to the same or similar chemicals
before or after - in water or air - would have an increased risk of
cancer. People who worked there longer would also have a greater risk of
cancer.

Of course, if workers were still using TCE in the hangar, the air
concentrations were likely much higher.

In summary, I don't know enough to say how likely it was that someone
working in these buildings would contract cancer as a result of
workplace exposure. But if I read the numbers correctly, there is enough
information to merit a full retrospective evaluation of the risks.

Lenny