2008 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 16:48:38 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT - A Cloud Hangs over Southern Colorado

[To download this article as a formatted 3-page, 716 KB PDF file with
photos, go to http://www.cpeo.org/PinonCanyon.pdf.]

Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site Expansion:
A Cloud Hangs over Southern Colorado

by Lenny Siegel
February, 2008

On February 11, 2008 I drove through southern Colorado, between the
Army's existing Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site (PCMS) and an area, currently
owned and managed by a number of local ranch families, which the Army
wishes to add to the Site. Then in the town of Aguilar I met with a
large roomful of members of the Pinon Canyon Expansion Opposition
Coalition. The proposal to expand PCMS is a classic conflict between the
U.S. military's expanding training requirements and the long-term
occupants of the property that the Defense Department wants.

PCMS is a 235,000-acre site, with a handful of buildings in a 1,600-acre
cantonment area, serving Ft. Carson, a major Army garrison roughly 80
miles to the northeast. West of the Purgatoire River, it consists
primarily of short-grass prairie and a speckling of basaltic hills. The
Army acquired the existing site in the early 1980s, reportedly using
eminent domain to obtain much of the property. In February 2007 the Army
announced plans to acquire up to 418,577 acres to expand the training site.

A broad regional coalition, including archaeologists and
paleontologists, peace activists, environmentalists, Indian tribes, and
business owners, opposes the land acquisition, but the heart of the
movement consists of the cattle ranchers who manage most of the
landscape. These are the people I met in Aguilar, and their story is
compelling.

Southern Colorado is light-years from Berkeley. That is, though like
other Americans, many of the people there probably question current U.S.
policy in the Middle East, they are by no means anti-military. The
Coalition's Mission Statement states, "We are strong supporters of our
country and our troops.... We firmly support adequate military training
but realize a significant amount of land is already owned and secured to
provide for that training." In short, they are not convinced that the
military really needs their land. One rancher explained, "It's ironic
that our young men and women are fighting for freedom overseas while we
have to fight the Army here."

Most of the ranches in the Pinon Canyon area are multi-generational.
That is, they were operated by the grandparents and earlier ancestors of
the current occupants. Thus, the ranchers are not only defending their
property, they are defending a way of life. While many are well educated
and most seem plugged into the Internet, they raise grass-fed beef
sustainably using practices that have been perfected over the past
century or more. The Coalition Mission Statement asserts, "We also hold
firm to the belief that our national security relies as much on our
efforts to produce food as it does on a good national defense."

The ranchers explain that their cattle fill the ecological niche
pre-historically held by buffalo. Managed grazing is good for the land.
Studies have shown their lands to be reservoirs of biodiversity, because
they know the land and recognize that their future is tied to it. Some
are already signing contracts with wind farm operators, to harvest that
powerful natural resource, while others are exploring solar power
generation. Renewable energy generation, they say, is compatible with
traditional cattle production; military training is not.

Ranchers and other local residents remember that the Army's promises of
economic benefit, made during the creation of the PCMS in the 1980's,
never materialized. They know that if even a small number of ranchers
decide to sell their lands, it will be easier for the Army to seize land
using eminent domain, to complete the checkerboard. They explain that
the mere threat of acquisition has stifled the local economy, as
ranchers defer maintenance such as painting. One told me that a merchant
who sells fence posts has seen a 90 percent sales decline since the Army
announced plans to expand the site. For the ranchers and the businesses
that depend upon them, it's not enough to delay acquisition. They need
to lift the cloud created by the pending proposal.

The Coalition has the ear of Colorado's Congressional delegation, but
thus far their legislative success has been limited. Members of Congress
have pledged to fight eminent domain, and the Salazar brothers (Senator
Ken and Representative John) inserted language into the December 2007
Omnibus Appropriations Act placing "a one-year moratorium on the
expansion of the Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site." During that period, the
Army will be required to justify the expansion and the Government
Accountability Office will study the proposal.

That's a partial success, but the Army is moving ahead with related
construction on the existing PCMS. In June 2007, it finalized the
Environmental Impact Statement for that project, and in August it was
approved but the Army's Deputy Assistant Chief of Staff for Installation
Management. To the ranchers and other denizens of southern Colorado,
therefore, it appears that the expansion train is still moving forward.
Unless the Army abandons the proposal, they believe they are "being held
for ransom."