2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 17:39:26 -0800
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Cape Henlopen (DE) munitions

Army Corps begins munitions cleanup at Cape Henlopen State Park

By Leah Hoenen
Cape Gazette (DE)
December 7, 2007

January and February will see teams of engineers searching for and
removing World War I and World War II-era munitions from Cape Henlopen
State Park. The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and its contractor, Weston
Solutions, are in the beginning stages of a clean-up project at the park.

The military first installed guns in the area that is now Cape Henlopen
State Park during World War I. Later, as the threat of U-boats and the
fear of German battleships like the Bismarck grew, the military ramped
up its presence and Fort Miles was constructed in 1941.

http://www.capegazette.com/storiescurrent/200712/munitions120707.html