2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 24 Oct 2007 14:31:05 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Groton Naval Submarine Base (CT)

Navy Plans To Focus On Heavily Polluted Area At Submarine Base

By Jennifer Grogan
New London Day (CT)
October 24, 2007

Groton - The Navy will soon try to clean up what environmental experts are calling one of the most contaminated areas at the Naval Submarine Base.

"I've never seen quite the mix of chemicals I did right there," said Dick Conant, deputy director of the base's environmental division.

Conant was referring to the sediments in the Thames River containing heavy metals; polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs), a byproduct of petroleum; and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), chlorinated compounds used as coolants and lubricants in electrical equipment.

To get off the federal Superfund list of the nation's most polluted sites, where it has been since 1990, the Groton base must clean up several sites, including an area along the waterfront known as the lower base, where most of the industrial activity takes place and the submarines are berthed.

http://www.theday.com/re.aspx?re=01e59b5f-73fc-493d-a147-bdff8032a1c0