2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 9 Sep 2007 01:36:07 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Former Ft. Des Moines (IA) dump site

Zoo passed up polluted parkland

History: For decades, chemicals were dumped at the 65-acre site that Blank Park Zoo had wanted

Safety: It's safe to play and fish at what is now a popular park, environmental experts report

By MELISSA WALKER
DES MOINES REGISTER (IA)
September 8, 2007

A Polk County park eyed for a major expansion of Blank Park Zoo sits atop a decades-old military dump site that officials fear has left soil and a popular fishing spot contaminated with pesticides, asbestos and chemical compounds.

That is one reason zoo officials decided last month to back away from a proposed land swap that would have transferred ownership of the 65 park acres to the city, paving the way for a $57 million zoo expansion.

"The city told us that right now, with their initial findings, they did not want the zoo to move on to that property," said Jim Hourigan, president of the Blank Park Zoo Foundation. "They thought the levels that were detected were high enough that we should look for a site elsewhere. ... I don't think they want the liability associated with owning it."

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070908/NEWS05/709080342/1001/NEWS&lead=1