2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lennysiegel@gmail.com>
Date: 9 Jul 2007 06:36:38 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Curtis Bay (MD) Coast Guard Yard cleanup

Coast Guard Yard planning cleanup
Work due to begin this year on Curtis Bay Superfund site

Click here to find out more!
By Dan Lamothe
Baltimore Sun (MD)
July 8, 2007

It has been decades since Charles S. Key Jr. has seen the Coast Guard Yard at Curtis Bay, but he still shudders when thinking of his first job there.

* Key was assigned in 1976 to work with the "major renovation" crew, gutting and rebuilding ships on and near the docks. He did everything from sweeping to moving salvage, he said.

* "The environment itself was just horrible, and really, really nasty," said Key, 52. "I'd come back to my room after work and my uniform would just be covered with rust and grease and who knows what else."

Key, now a civilian living in Seattle, was stationed at the yard before present-day safeguards for the environment were put in place. Hazardous activities, such as sandblasting ship hulls, resulted in widespread contamination on the 113-acre site, nestled into the northeastern corner of Anne Arundel County near Curtis Creek and Arundel Cove.

Now, nearly 20 years after Coast Guard officials began investigating the environmental impact of discontinued shipyard tasks at the 108-year-old yard, the cleanup is set to begin this year.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/annearundel/bal-ar.superfund08jul08,0,4709766.story?coll=bal-local-arundel