2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "peter " <petestrauss1@comcast.net>
Date: 26 Mar 2007 18:23:19 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: RE: [CPEO-MEF] Sandy Run - Reverse Encroachment at Camp Lejeune

Good article Lenny.

I've been thinking about the concept of reverse encroachment for some time.
Not only are some bases a nuisance to neighbors, they also take away from
the tax base and pollute drinking water, as well as add other insults to the
environment.  So how does DOD make amends?  Should some closing bases be
required to pay a tax to the community, because no matter how strict the
cleanup, they will surely leave some environmental affects behind (e.g.,
landfills, contaminated soil and water)?

Peter Strauss