2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Feb 2007 05:24:24 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Wheeler (GA) UXO

[Sorry. I punched the send button prematurely on the last message. - LS]

Old Macon military site plagued by underground explosives

By MONI BASU
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution (GA)
February 19, 2007

Macon - The sky-scraping pines and wide-open acres of Twiggs County made for peaceful suburban living - until residents started finding shards of metal in their yards.

Jackie Clark thought they were lawn mower parts. Or maybe they had fallen from her car. The Army Corps of Engineers later informed her the discoveries were fins from mortar shells.

Clark was sitting on land littered with explosives.

"What I had was a yard full of bomb parts," said Clark, who has owned her house on Redbud Drive since 1979.

She was stunned — and angry — that no one had ever told her that her property was part of the 14,000 acres that belonged to Camp Wheeler, a military base that closed in 1946.

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/stories/2007/02/18/0219wheeler.html