2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "lsiegel@cpeo.org" <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 8 Feb 2007 12:08:11 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Fort Bragg (NC) as national treasure

Fort Bragg is an ?ecological national treasure?

Opinion by Col. David G. Fox, Fort Bragg
Fayettevill Observer (NC)
February 07, 2007

This column is based on remarks by Col. David G. Fox, Fort Bragg?s garrison
commander, to the N.C. General Assembly on Jan. 22.

The biggest challenge facing Fort Bragg today is the development of homes
and businesses around the installation that makes it difficult and
sometimes even dangerous to train.

During the short session of the 2006 General Assembly, a bill was
introduced to increase funding for land and water conservation and historic
preservation. That bill authorized a bond referendum to be placed on the
November 2006 ballot for $1 billion to be distributed to the state?s
existing conservation trust funds. The General Assembly and governor
created the Land and Water Conservation Study Commission, which is charged
with making recommendations to the 2007 General Assembly concerning how to
fund this initiative. This funding will help ensure Fort Bragg will
continue to prepare our soldiers for generations to come.

During the run-up to the Base Realignment and Closure Commission decisions,
this state created a slogan, ?North Carolina, the nation?s most military
friendly state,? and they have lived up to this.

While the Department of Defense has been spending millions to try to
protect our training grounds, the help we have received from the state and
conservation groups has become a model for other parts of the country. The
land and water conservation funds have been absolutely vital to preserving
Fort Bragg?s training lands that allow the soldiers to fully prepare
themselves prior to going into harm?s way and protect our way of life.

For the entire column, see
http://www.fayobserver.com/article?id=253961