2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 1 Feb 2007 17:49:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site (CO) expansion

Training needs put landowners on defensive

By Peter Roper
Pueblo Chieftain (CO)
February 1, 2007

FORT CARSON, Colo. - Five years of fighting wars in Iraq and Afghanistan have driven home a lesson to Congress that the Army needs to be substantially larger - and that pressure is rippling down to the Army's desire to expand the Pinon Canyon Maneuver Site.

"[The public] isn't getting a realistic picture of our training needs right now because so many of our brigades are overseas in the fight," Maj. Gen. Robert Mixon Jr., Fort Carson's commander, said in a recent interview. "Our obligation is to look at the space we'd need if those brigades were home and to look into the future."

Mixon and Brig. Gen. James Milano, the deputy commanding general of the 4th Infantry Division, said they recognize that ranchers and communities around the 238,000-acre Pinon Canyon site are afraid the government will condemn private land in order to expand by 416,000 acres.

http://www.armytimes.com/news/2007/02/aparmyexpand070201/