2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Jan 2007 21:10:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Southern Research [AL] dismantling former toxic agent laboratory"

Southern Research dismantling former toxic agent laboratory
U.S. developed chemical warfare defense systems there

DAVE PARKS
Birmingham News (AL)
January 31, 2007

Southern Research Institute is decommissioning its U.S. Army Toxic Agent Facility on Southside, a corridor of labs that produced some of the military's most basic chemical warfare defense systems.

Southern Research officials said the company completed its last chemical defense project for the Army in 2004, and it needed the 2,400 square feet of space for biological work, most likely connected to national defense and public health.

"We're looking in different directions," said Jack Secrist III, president and chief executive of Southern Research. "We are seeing a significant expansion in infectious disease research that focuses on emerging infections or threat agents."

http://www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/index.ssf?/base/news/1170240477197220.xml&coll=2