2007 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 Jan 2007 22:32:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] [Fwd: remediation goals for technical grade DNT?]
From: Laura Olah, Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger

Does anyone know of remediation goals for drinking water for the less
common DNT isomers (other than 2,4- and 2,6) and/or technical grade DNT
(a mixture of all 6 isomers)?

PLEASE REPLY to: info@cswab.org <mailto:info@cswab.org>


All 6 isomers of DNT (2,3-, 2,4-, 2,6-, 2,5-, 3,4-, and 3,5- DNT) have
been detected in groundwater and well water in and around Wisconsin’s
Badger Army Ammunition Plant.  Of particular note is the fact that low
levels of 2,3-, 2,5-, 3,4-, and 3,5- DNT have been detected in drinking
water wells in the absence of 2,4- or 2,6- DNT emphasizing the
importance of testing for ALL isomers.  These other less common isomers
have not been shown to biodegrade so this finding is not surprising.
(Technical grade DNT is about 95% 2,4 and 26-DNT; the remaining 5% is
2,3-, 2,5-, 3,4-, and 3,5-DNT.)

Here in Wisconsin there is no drinking water or groundwater standard for
these other isomers.  According to one report, at Volunteer Army
Ammunition Plant in Tennessee, the remediation goal for “total DNT” (the
sum of all 6 isomers) was set at 0.099 micrograms per liter.  We would
like to know what health-based goals for drinking water have been
applied in other communities.


Laura Olah, Executive Director
Citizens for Safe Water Around Badger (CSWAB)
E12629 Weigand's Bay South
Merrimac, WI  53561
Phone: (608)643-3124
Email: info@cswab.org
Website: www.cswab.org

Military mailing list

  Prev by Date: [CPEO-MEF] Hyannis (MA) perchlorate
Next by Date: [CPEO-MEF] Senators introduce perchlorate legislation
  Prev by Thread: [CPEO-MEF] Hyannis (MA) perchlorate
Next by Thread: [CPEO-MEF] Senators introduce perchlorate legislation

CPEO Lists
Author Index
Date Index
Thread Index