2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Nov 2006 09:05:37 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rayon Park and Richmond Defense Depot (VA)

Rayon Park puts past problems behind it
Many now proud to live in neighborhood once troubled by septic tanks, chemicals

BY MEREDITH BONNY
RICHMOND TIMES-DISPATCH (VA)
November 5, 2006

A lot can happen in five years. Just ask Lonnie and Pat McCoy.

The McCoys, who moved to Rayon Park in 1999, decided two years later that it was time for action. In 2001, the couple joined fellow residents Paul and Sue Patton and many others in requesting help from the Chesterfield Board of Supervisors.

"Our whole backyard was under water," Pat McCoy recalled. "It smelled like raw sewage. We were trying to make this a better place. We had a 10-year-old daughter to raise."

Later, the McCoys learned that their neighbor, the Defense Supply Center Richmond, had been declared a Superfund site in 1987 and received federal funding for cleanup because toxic chemicals had been dumped into the ground for years.

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1149191522329&path=!news&s=1045855934842
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org