2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 11 Oct 2006 22:54:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Andrews Air Force Base (MD) enhanced plan

Cleanup program on fast track

by Air Force News Blaze October 10, 2006

When Andrews Air Force Base, Md., was placed on the Environmental Protection Agency's National Priorities List of contaminated sites in 1999, environmental restoration program managers estimated it would take until 2014 and millions of dollars to remedy the sites.

With 23 sites and 10 areas of concern, Air Mobility Command officials estimated the potential cost to remedy in place, or RIP, was as high as $180 million. Since then, the outlook for the cleanup program has changed considerably.

"We expect to reach RIP at all our restoration sites by the end of 2009," said Brian Dolan, Andrews' environmental restoration chief, "and with our performance-based strategy, we'll save money as well."

http://newsblaze.com/story/20061010144525tsop.nb/newsblaze/TOPSTORY/Top-Stories.html
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org