2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Sep 2006 15:45:58 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Biologically regenerated perchlorate filters

Perchlorate filter is tested
System could be money-saver for tainted water cleanup

Andrew Edwards
San Bernardino County Sun (CA)
September 21, 2006

HIGHLAND - Water suppliers are testing a new filtration system designed to keep toxic perchlorate out of drinking water.

Officials in the East Valley Water District are also planning another project to keep uranium from flowing through local pipes.

"It (the perchlorate filter) is in right now. We're going through the final shakedown of our testing process," district general manager Robert Martin said. The district provides water to about 65,000 customers in the Highland area.

Martin said he's waiting for approval from the California Department of Health Services before his district can begin to supply customers with water from the well where the new perchlorate filter has been installed.

Instead of removing and incinerating resins, Basin Water's system uses a biological process to make it possible to save resins for repeated use, Jensen said.

http://www.sbsun.com/news/ci_4371136