2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 31 Aug 2006 22:20:50 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] More on Bakersfield (CA) explosion

2 California children die while playing with artillery shell

By William M. Welch USA TODAY August 31, 2006

Frank Sendejo of Bakersfield, Calif., says he has had an old artillery shell for so long he can't remember where he got it.

That shell, he said Wednesday, ended up in the hands of children and exploded while they were playing on a street Tuesday. The blast killed two children and injured five others.

Bakersfield police Detective Greg Terry said investigators believe one of the victims, Andrew Etcheverry, 8, "was striking the object with something or striking it against a table" in a front yard when it detonated. Also killed in the blast was Jeni Klawitter, 7, police said.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-08-30-calif-yard-blast_x.htm

[I was quoted at the end of the article, but the reported didn't include two important points that I made: 1) Most of the accidents involving unexploded ordnance or discarded military munitions are triggered by someone tampering with the weapons, often far (in time and place) from where it was left by the military; and 2) I made clear that I am not a "hands-on" expert on ordnance. - LS]

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org