2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 16 Jul 2006 21:11:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] S. Korea accepts bases

South Korea shelves pollution issue, accepts 15 U.S. sites
Seoul cites ongoing 'security and economic' benefits

By Erik Slavin
Stars and Stripes Pacific edition
July 17, 2006

SEOUL - South Korea’s government finally has agreed to accept 15 closed U.S. military sites despite earlier pollution concerns, officials said Saturday.

A South Korean statement Saturday confirmed South Korea will accept U.S. camps Howze, Stanton, Giant, Greaves, LaGuardia, Nimble, McNab, Colburn, Bonifas, Freedom Bridge, the U.S.-controlled United Nations Compound, CPX-AI firing range, Charlie Block, Koon-Ni Range and the U.S. military office at Seoul Station.

"Although negotiations fell short of the expectations of our government, we believe we have done our best to draw out the best outcome, based on seeing other overseas examples," a joint statement South Korea’s ministries of defense, environment and foreign affairs issued Saturday said.

Continued "U.S. military presence in Korea would contribute to our security and economic developments," it said.

http://www.estripes.com/article.asp?section=104&article=38671
--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org