2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Feb 2006 23:05:39 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Edwdards Air Force Base (CA) range cleanup

Edwards to launch cleanup
Cleanup will take years

By Jim Skeen
LA Daily News
February 26, 2006

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE - In its early days, Edwards Air Force Base was an Army gunnery range. Now, the Air Force is checking to see if there any munitions from those days still laying about.

The desert and dry lake beds that are now Edwards became a military base in the early 1930s, first as an Army gunnery range and later as a bomber training range before evolving in the 1940s into a flight test center.

As part of a Defense Department-wide initiative, Edwards' Environmental Management officials are looking for unexploded bombs and shells and chemical residue in areas that might have been used as target ranges but are now serving other functions.

Those areas include base housing, shopping areas, the former Jet Propulsion Laboratory site at North Base, the rocket laboratory and base gates.

"We know we'll never bomb those areas again," said Paul Schiff, the Air Force project manager. "We'll investigate them and clean them."

The Military Munitions Response Program was created to address the cleanup of areas that, as of October 2002, are no longer in use as ranges. Nationwide, the Defense Department has identified 293 sites covering more than 280,000 acres that will be investigated.

http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_3547497

See also

Got whey, the grime-fighter?
Milk product helps clean underwater pollution

By Jim Skeen
LA Daily News
February 26, 2006

EDWARDS AIR FORCE BASE - A cheese-making byproduct best known for being eaten by Little Miss Muffet is being tested to clean up underground contamination left over from long-ago aircraft testing.

Whey - the watery part of milk separated during the cheese-making process - is dried and turned into a powder, then mixed at tiny concentrations with water and injected underground to be eaten by microbes, which begins a reaction that turns the contamination harmless.

"We look at the technology, see if it works and what it costs, before deciding on a final solution," said Gary Hatch, spokesman for the base's Environmental Management Section.

http://www.dailynews.com/search/ci_3547504

--

Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 <lsiegel@cpeo.org> http://www.cpeo.org