2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Jan 2006 22:07:33 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Ft. Riley (KS) buffer zone

[For the past several years, I have suggested that the military and
environmentalists ally against a common enemy, urban sprawl. It's
gratifying to see one more example of exactly that. - LS]

Kansas Land Trust to create buffer around Fort Riley

By Joel Mathis
Lawrence Journal-World (KS)
January 19, 2006

The military wants to keep making loud noises. Kansas environmentalists
want to ensure the tallgrass prairie doesn't die. The two problems may
have one solution.

Officials with Fort Riley and the Lawrence-based Kansas Land Trust on
Wednesday announced plans to create a "buffer" around the Army base, a
10-year program that would permanently preserve up to 50,000 acres of
prairie and farmland.

"We'd like to keep that land use the way it is," said Jeff Keating, a
civilian biologist who manages the buffer program for Fort Riley.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2006/jan/19/kansas_land_trust_create_buffer_around_fort_riley/?city_local