2006 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Jan 2006 21:46:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Uranium at Schofield Barracks (HI)

Schofield uranium find prompts call for probe

By Rod Ohira
Honolulu Advertiser
January 6, 2006

A coalition of environmental and Native Hawaiian rights groups are calling for an independent investigation and disclosure by the Army of depleted uranium munitions use in Hawai'i based on recently obtained information confirming its presence at Schofield.

The Army said yesterday that the depleted uranium in question poses no threat.

The coalition DMZ Hawai'i/ Aloha 'Aina cited a Sept. 19 e-mail message from Samuel P. McManus of the U.S. Army Engineering and Support Center in Huntsville, Ala., to Ronald Borne, an Army employee involved with preparations for the Stryker brigade at Schofield Barracks. The e-mail involved the high cost of unexploded ordnance removal in preparation for the construction of a new Stryker brigade battle area complex at Schofield. In the e-mail, McManus noted, "We have found much that we did not expect, including the recent find of depleted uranium."

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2006/Jan/06/ln/FP601060367.html