2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 6 Oct 2005 22:53:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Jacksonville (FL) rethinks master jet base

Please excuse the duplicate posting.

[The conflicts in Jacksonville, Florida (see below) and Virginia Beach, Virginia between the boosters of a master jet base and residents of nearby neighborhoods reminds me of the 1996 argument we had in Mountain View and Sunnyvale, California over whether to allow the Civil Reserve Air Fleet to sponsor air cargo operations at the former Moffett Naval Air Station. In such situations, civic leaders who normally speak for the community, unchallenged, often run into tenacious opposition from residents who feel that their homes and neighborhoods are threatened. That's why it is important to work with the public at large, not just their local elected officials, when resolving conflicts between military operations and the quality of life in the surrounding community. - LS]

Peyton withdraws Cecil bond ordinance

Tony Quesada
Jacksonville Business Journal
October 6, 2005

Mayor John Peyton has withdrawn a proposed ordinance that would authorize issuing $50 million in bonds to help relocate Cecil Commerce Center tenants so the Navy can make it a master jet base.

Peyton said the normal time frame for acting on legislation is too short to evaluate the impacts of bringing 200-plus Navy jets, 12,000 personnel and a $770 million payroll to the Westside.

"I will reintroduce the legislation if it is in our community's best interest to do so," he said during a news conference Thursday at City Hall.

The ordinance was introduced in September to meet the city's commitment to the 2005 Base Realignment and Closure Commission that it and the state would pay the costs to clear Cecil of incompatible uses. Gov. Jeb Bush promised to work with state legislatures to appropriate $150 million for that purpose.

http://jacksonville.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/stories/2005/10/03/daily31.html

See also
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=43754

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org _______________________________________________ Military mailing list Military@list.cpeo.org http://www.cpeo.org/mailman/listinfo/military