2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 1 Oct 2005 03:49:14 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Indiana Congressman pursues Jefferson Proving Ground ordnance cleanup

Sodrel pursuing ordnance cleanup

Peggy Vlerebome
Madison Courier (IN)
September 30, 2005

U.S. Rep. Mike Sodrel has joined a bipartisan group of House members who
want to focus congressional attention, funding and legislation on
cleanup of unexploded ordnance and on UXO safety issues.

The U.S. Army left tons of unexploded ordnance at Jefferson Proving
Ground, where munitions were tested from 1941 to 1994. JPG officially
closed 10 years ago today under the Defense Authorization Amendments and
Base Realignment and Closure Act of 1988.

Most of the UXO is still there and is on the 50,000 acres that now is
the Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge.

"The former Jefferson Proving Ground, Big Oaks National Wildlife Refuge
and Camp Atterbury continue to deal with the safety, health and
environmental concerns from unexploded ordnance," Sodrel, R-New Albany,
said in a press release. "By working with my colleagues who represent
military sites that have been used for ordnance exercises, we hope to be
able to solve some of the long-term challenges facing these communities."

http://www.madisoncourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=4&SubSectionID=253&ArticleID=26290&TM=55397.63