2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: lsiegel@cpeo.org
Date: 26 Sep 2005 00:06:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Gagetown (New Brunswick) Agent Orange

Agent Orange victims sick of feds' dithering

By Greg Weston
Ottawa Sun (Ontario)
September 25, 2005

Three months ago today, Defence Minister Bill Graham promised the
government would compensate Canadian military vets who were exposed to
toxic Agent Orange and other deadly herbicides sprayed on the Gagetown,
N.B., army base in the 1960s.

Responding to a Sun expose on the Agent Orange issue, Graham virtually
begged vets and their families across Canada to come forward and file
immediate claims for compensation.

In an interview with me, the minister said: "We're telling veterans,
'Look, if you are concerned about this, for heaven's sake get in touch
with us, and we'll help put together a case.'

Nothing but questions

"We do have to compensate the people who were exposed -- there is no
question about that."

No question? Three months later, a senior official at Veterans' Affairs
suggests there have been nothing but questions.

http://ottsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Weston_Greg/2005/09/24/1234214.html