2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 29 Aug 2005 16:42:18 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Camp Lejeune (NC) - Justice Department will notprosecute

I am not a lawyer, nor have I ever been, and I don't know all the
details of this case. But the Justice Department's finding on Camp
Lejeune disturbs me. It reminds me of the Defense Department position on perchlorate.

It seems to say that it's OK for government officials to knowingly allow
public exposure to hazardous substances at dangerous levels - at Camp
Lejeune they weren't even borderline - as long as there is no specific
promulgated health standard.

For the foreseeable future, we will continue to discover that people are
being exposed to newly acknowledged hazardous substances, and it will be
years before each of them has a promulgated standard - especially if the
polluters continue their efforts to delay, weaken, and even prevent promulgation.

To protect public health, there must be a level of accountability that
kicks in as soon as it become apparent that unhealthy exposures are
likely. The development of health standards should be a process that
protects the public, not the polluters or government officials who fail
to do their job.

Lenny