2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 17 May 2005 17:18:15 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Ft. Ord Site Security report

I've written before that most casualties from encounters with unexploded
ordnance or discarded munitions are the result of unauthorized access to
ranges and storage/disposal areas or even the removal of such hazards
from where they are found. Though it's no substitute, in the long run,
for remediation (clearance), site security can dramatically reduce
explosive risk.

As I've also written before, Fort Ord's Site Security program should
serve as a model anywhere civilians are likely to come into contact with
explosives. The latest annual review of that program, completed in April
2005, discusses improvements in fencing, educational programs for
schools, and training for people who work in range areas. To ensure that
the program remains effective, the program - as documented in the report
- tracks both trespassing incidents and encounters with ordnance, as a
tool to improve ongoing site security efforts.

To download the 2005 report, go to
http://www.fortordcleanup.com/adminrec/ar_pdfs/AR-OE-0422D/OE-0422D_text-section.pdf.
For the appendices, go to
http://www.fortordcleanup.com/adminrec/ar_pdfs/AR-OE-0422D/  .