2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 5 May 2005 05:46:53 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Rocky Flats (CO) oversight board

Citizens will be allowed on Rocky Flats oversight board

By Todd Neff
Boulder Daily Camera (CO)
May 3, 2005

Sometimes it takes a higher power to get people to play nice.

A letter sent to Secretary of Energy Samuel Bodman by U.S. Sens. Wayne Allard and Ken Salazar and U.S. Reps. Mark Udall and Bob Beauprez has put an end to nearly a year of bickering among the two groups currently overseeing Rocky Flats.

The Rocky Flats Coalition of Local Governments and the Rocky Flats Citizens Advisory Board, which together oversee the $7 billion cleanup of the former nuclear-weapons plant, had disagreed what role citizens should play on the local stakeholder organization that will monitor Rocky Flats starting some time next year.

The letter, copied to both groups, says voting should not be restricted to officials from local governments.

"While we believe local governments should be a significant majority in the local stakeholder organization, we support the inclusion of non-elected officials," it said.

http://www.dailycamera.com/bdc/science/article/0,1713,BDC_2432_3747715,00.html