2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Apr 2005 02:18:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Hanford (WA) health trials

First of Hanford health trials start Monday

By JOHN K. WILEY, ASSOCIATED PRESS
SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
April 23, 2005

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Harriet Fugitt spent an idyllic childhood at her
family's dairy farm in the Benton City area south of the Hanford nuclear
reservation, where her father worked helping to make plutonium for the
nation's Cold War weapons.

"We swam in the river. We played outdoors. But what worries me most is
we lived on a dairy and drank the milk," she said. "We just had what we
thought was a terrific life. We never knew it was killing us."

At a trial that starts Monday, a U.S. District Court jury will be asked
to decide whether those everyday activities exposed Fugitt and her
neighbors to radioactive contamination that spewed from Hanford
plutonium factories, adversely affecting their health.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/aplocal_story.asp?category=6420&slug=WST%20Hanford%20Downwinders