2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 28 Mar 2005 16:38:16 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] Kelly Air Force Base (TX) health study

I stand corrected. In the August 2003 briefing I received, the Air Force did mention soil gas studies, and it concluded that there was no "apparent risk" to the community. Since then, it has conducted more soil vapor monitoring.

I plan to review the results of the sampling to see to what degree I agree with the conclusions.

Lenny

Lenny Siegel wrote:
[I visited Kelly Air Force Base a couple of years ago, and I understand that most of its neighbors don't get their water from the contaminated upper aquifer. As far as I know, however, there has been no sampling for vapor intrusion - a much more likely pathway from the shallow aquifer into the community. The Air Force has looked for, and found, vapor intrusion at Hill Air Force Base, Utah, a similar installation to Kelly. Why hasn't it sampled the air around Kelly? - LS]

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org