2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 24 Mar 2005 02:19:44 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] San Bernardino/Camp Ono (CA) water treatment system

New phase begins for water cleanup

SAN BERNARDINO: Five wells are readied to join the effort to extract contaminating solvents.

By CHRIS RICHARD
Riverside Press-Enterprise (CA)
March 23, 2005

Officials will dedicate a system of pumps and filtration tanks to remove industrial solvents from San Bernardino's water supply Thursday, marking a turning point in a cleanup effort spanning two decades.

"We've devoted countless hours to trying to advocate on our own behalf to the EPA and to the federal government to make sure they knew how important the system was to San Bernardino," said Stacey Aldstadt, deputy general manager of the city's water department. "To say that this was our No. 1 priority is probably a vast understatement."

In addition to drinking-water supplies for 160,000 San Bernardino residents, the cleanup affects water sources for about 600,000 people in San Bernardino and Riverside counties.

http://www.pe.com/localnews/sanbernardino/stories/PE_News_Local_B_bdedicate23.ecb6.html