2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: "L McElroy" <translate@dakotacom.net>
Date: 27 Feb 2005 23:20:03 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] "Reverse Encroachment" in Tucson AZ

We in Tucson are experiencing reverese encroachment, AND encroachment.

Unbeknownst to the general public, local and state government went through a
JLUS (Joint Land Use Study) process that included input from the military,
land developers and one recently built subdivision. The outcome was that
city government designated a huge swathe of established, mid-town
neighborhoods -- 8,000 homes -- as "incompatible with residential use."

The powers that be have published documents saying that this JLUS process
was "inclusive," that it included "all the stakeholders." If they had asked
us we could have told them that it doesn't make sense to re-zone family
neighborhoods as if they were a warehouse zone. But it might be enough to
make a Washington-based BRAC commissioner think that there are no
residential areas in the approach-departure corridor for the runway.

Have any of you out there had a similar process happen in your locality -- a
JLUS process that was billed as "inclusive" but excluded the public?

If so, please email me.

Lauren McElroy Herrera
Tucson, Arizona
translate@dakotacom.net