2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Feb 2005 02:12:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Cowlitz tribe letter on Camp Bonneville (WA)

Cowlitz Indian Tribe
February 24, 2005

Lieutenant General James Dubik
Commanding General, 1st Corps
Fort Lewis, WA 98433

Dear General Dubik,

I have been informed of a serious cultural issue pertaining to Camp Bonneville, Clark County, WA. There is a recorded prehistoric campsite, or basically a Native American Camp location, which is labeled site #45CL318. It is very disturbing that I found out that the Cowlitz Indian Tribe was not notified of its existence when it was investigated in 2003, after our Federal Acknowledgement. It is also very disturbing that this site has been further degraded back in the late 1980's through the construction of a gunfire range over the top of a recorded prehistoric campsite #45CL318. It is even more disturbing that tribal representatives witnessed in January of 2005, that the gunfire range which is located on or very close to a prehistoric campsite labeled #45CL318 is still in use for shooting practice by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), while at the same time, the US Army and the Cowlitz Indian Tribe are trying to work together in rectifying serious cultural concerns our Tribe has on Camp Bonneville, WA. I would like to strongly request that the US Army ask the FBI to cease any dealings or actions on the Camp Bonneville, WA property, until the site is professionally investigated. I also request that Camp Bonneville is properly secured through adequate fencing and sign posting around the perimeter of the property, much like the fending present on the west end of the Camp Bonneville property near the main entrance gate. It has come to my attention that adequate fencing and sign postings would serve not only to protect our cultural concerns, but serve to protect the surrounding neighborhood children from accessing unexploded ordinance [sic]. I would thank you dearly for your quick response over this matter.

Sincerely Yours,

John Barnett
Chairman for the Cowlitz Indian Tribe
Longview, Washington