2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 25 Feb 2005 02:42:21 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Indoor air testing near Hill Air Force Base (UT)

Engineers testing base housing for fuel vapors

by Barbara Fisher, Environmental Management
Hilltop Times (UT)
February 24, 2005

Hill AFB environmental engineers will begin testing the indoor air next
week in 20 homes in the Patriot Hills housing area to learn if vapors
could be entering the homes because of their location near a plume of
underground jet fuel.

This testing is a follow-up to a study done in the early 1990s, said
Shannon Smith, an environmental engineer with the 75th Civil Engineer
Group's Environmental Management Division who is overseeing cleanup of
the fuel contamination.

"Over the last few years we have been air sampling in several hundred
homes in off-base areas also affected by Hill's groundwater
contamination," Ms. Smith said.  "We have learned much from this
sampling and would like to again test the air in base housing homes to
ensure there is no problem with exposure to chemical vapors."

http://www.hilltoptimes.com/story.asp?edition=192&storyid=5498