2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 3 Feb 2005 02:23:20 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] "No traces" of Agent Orange at Subic Bay

Submitted by Saul Bloom <saulbloom@arcecology.org>

The article posted should be read with a substantial grain of salt. Arc
Ecology and the People's Task Force For Bases Cleanup with the
assistance of the Archbishop of Zambalez Province negotiated the release
of the Woodward Clyde Environmental Base Line Survey for public review
in the late '90's. Based upon our review we found the document severely
flawed and it is debatable as to whether the study actually did comply
with accepted norms. To begin with, as confirmed by the SBMA Ecology
Center at a hearing of the combined Philippine Congressional Committees
on the Environment and the Ecology, that the document was designed to
just clear areas for reuse as opposed to identify all sources or
contaminated sites. This is not to say that Agent Orange poses a hazard
at Subic Bay, only that most of the areas for potential Agent Orange
contamination were outside of the scope of the research of the document
cited. If the Woodward Clyde report is the only evidence that SBMA
possesses to confirm the absence of Agent Orange contamination, it is
unfortunately inappropriate to draw that conclusion.

Saul Bloom