2005 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Jan 2005 23:24:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] New Mexico air range expansion

Cannon: Expansion would create more noise, but no other problems

Portales News-Tribune (NM)
January 14, 2005

CANNON AIR FORCE BASE - An environmental report on the effects of a
proposed military airspace expansion estimates increased noise that
could be intrusive but would cause no damage to animals or humans.

The 421-page environmental impact statement said the expansion would
mean "some airspace and noise consequences" but would have no other
noticeable effect.

The proposal, the New Mexico Training Range Initiative, would expand
military airspace from the current 2,600 square miles to 3,300 square
miles, moving west into Lincoln County, east toward Portales, north into
Fort Sumner and south into Chaves County.

Base officials said the current airspace they use for training does not
allow realistic training for a full range of F-16 jet fighter plane
missions.

The plan also would let F-16 pilots fly lower and faster. Pilots would
be allowed to fly as low as 500 feet above the ground and to fly at
supersonic speeds at approximately 6,000 feet rather than the current
26,000 feet above ground level - resulting in a threefold increase in
sonic booms.

"There is a lot of research taken before we can go forward with any type
of expansion," said 1st Lt. Jennifer Geeslin of Cannon Air Force Base's
public affairs office. "The whole reason that we do such a thorough
environmental impact statement is so we can take in all the concerns of
the environment and ensure if this proposal does go forward and get
approved that it will have minimal effect on the environment."

http://www.pntonline.com/engine.pl?station=portales&template=storyfull.html&id=3939