2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 23 Nov 2004 21:53:48 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Underground nuclear testing

Utahns to team up on N-testing and environment
Legislation: It would require mandatory environmental reviews before
underground tests

By Christopher Smith
The Salt Lake Tribune
November 23, 2004

WASHINGTON - Democratic Congressman Jim Matheson plans to join forces
with Republican Sen. Bob Bennett to reintroduce legislation next year
for mandatory environmental reviews before underground nuclear weapons
testing could resume in Nevada.

The pair of Utah lawmakers introduced similar bills requiring
congressional authorization of any new detonations at the Nevada Test
Site northwest of Las Vegas, but both measures are considered dead as
the current session sputters to a close.

With Congress approving a 2005 energy spending bill that eliminates
funding for studying new versions of existing nuclear weapons Saturday,
Matheson said he hopes to work with Bennett to craft a single piece of
legislation that would protect downwinders from potential exposure to
radioactive fallout or contamination.

"I was very pleased by Sen. Bennett's bill and I like some of the
changes he put in his, so I'm hoping we can work together to reintroduce
a new bill in the next Congress," Matheson said. "I believe there is the
opportunity to make a lot of progress on this, especially with
bipartisan support and having a companion bill in the Senate."

http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2470121