2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Nov 2004 21:04:41 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Nellis AFB Encroachment

Suburban Sprawl Encroaching on Nellis AFB

Edward Lawrence
KLAS-TV 8 Eyewitness News (Las Vegas, NV)
November 19. 2004

How close is too close living to Nellis Air Force Base? As the valley
grows, the land around the base shrinks. The noise and rumbling caused
by the jets could turn public opinion with the more people who move to
the northeast.

Despite the noise, the Air Force says each flight is vital to training
and preparedness. At the moment the jet engines drown out any complaints
against the base. The military wants to keep it that way.

99th Airbase Wing Vice Commander Col. Mike Scott says, "We are a
national asset out here. More than 75-percent of the live munitions
dropped in the United States are dropped in our ranges here." As Vice
Commander Col. Scott runs Nellis Air Force Base. He says he monitors new
development around the base and Air Force property. "We are very
concerned about encroachment of our operations and activities."

For the entire story, see
http://www.klas-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=2592216&nav=168XTLz2