2004 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 18 Nov 2004 15:49:27 -0000
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] Letterkenny Depot project completed

Cleanup complete
Army deems watershed decontamination efforts finished

By JIM HOOK
Chambersburg Public Opinion (PA)
November 15, 2004

The cleanup of two contaminated trenches that drained storm water from
Letterkenny Army Depot to Rowe Run and the Conococheague Creek watershed
has been completed.

After hauling away more than 1,000 tons of soil and conducting follow-up
tests, the Army considers the cleanup completed.

Letterkenny will host a public hearing about the closure at 7:30 p.m.
Thursday in Building 14 on Overcash Avenue at the depot.

Sediment in the trenches had been contaminated volatile organic
compounds, oils, metals and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs). The
sediments were removed in 1996 and 1997, and the area tested.

"It's cleared up to what we can do in 2004," Letterkenny spokesman Alan
Loessy said. "We are asking the regulators to confirm that's what we
could do."

http://www.publicopiniononline.com/news/stories/20041115/localnews/1596469.html